Monday 5 May 2008

Another day, another post!

Thought I'd just post to show you the days work on the bonnet/nose.

I managed to get a good few hours on the car today so am reasonably pleased with the progress:)

Just to give you an idea of the amount of work I've been doing (and trying to justify the amount of time it's taken), this is a pic of the bonnet before I started doing any of the mods.


Underneath that huge scoop are the carbs. It wasn't what I wanted but was more a necessity. That was the first thing to go, so we ended up with this. You'll notice that I've already started playing around with the plenum.

As I wasn't sure what I wanted, but knew what was needed, I ended up with this monstrosity about a year ago, and till last week, this is how the bonnet looked. Now you see why I decided to leave it for a while!
With the intercooler scoops as eyes, the plenum cover as a nose, and the (just visible) radiator vent, it looked badly like a face. Something needed to be done, so....

...off with the intercooler scoops and "nose" over plenum. I also removed the polystyrene bits I was using to widen the lower front of the nosecone - either side of the radiator. Anyway, I had a brainwave and used some steel mesh as a former, which I gradually folled with filler to give me...

I'm aiming for a smooth look, and as you can see in the nest pic, I think I might succeed.


I now "just need to" ( yeah right) get the same finish on the other side (not far off), and figure out how I'm going to cover the intercoolers. Once that's done, it's a matter of finishingall the edges then sanding/painting/sanding polishing to get a really nice finish so I can mould it. After that, it'll be to make a new bonnet, paint and fit, by which time ecu should be in and working, then we'll be off.

I'm hoping to do some work on it in the evenings and next Sunday (finish??????), so, no more till then I'm afraid.

Gotta go!

Simon

No comments: