Sunday 15 March 2009

Done a bit...

Managed to get some time on the car today, which was nice.

List of jobs that needed doing prior to today's play around were:

a) Fuel lines - at the rear I needed to bend the pipe (for fuel return) to shape, and clip to chassis, and clip fuel line in the transmission tunnel.

b) The existing fuel feed (in boot, by pump) has the pressure regulator fitted to it, which will need removing and the "t" piece removing, as pressure reg incorporated on fuel rail of this engine.

c) In the engine compartment, I'll need to get the fuel lines connected to the fuel rail, and then test system - ie turn on ignition and fuel pump and check for leaks.

d) Also need to make a bracket for the air flow meter - which will face rearward, and modify exhausts as no turbo's to connect pipes anymore.

e) Wiring will need sorting, which I'm not looking forward to, then

f) I need to sort the bonnet out,

g) fit the radiator and plumb in, and

h) paint the rest of the bodywork!

i) modify the alternator bracket

Oh, and get roll bar sorted!

Not too much then.

So what did I do today?

Well, got up at 7.30, straight to the pool for a quick 80 (ish) lengths, home at 9.45, find wife and boys still relaxing, so feed boys, get washing on line, wash up breakfast stuff (all adds up to good garage time:D), then have major tidy up in garage.

And at about midday, I finally started working on the car. It was quite productive - I got a) to c) done, including the leak test. That might come in for some more testing and/or modification before I go on the road, though I'm sure all's ok.

Obviously, I'd liked to have got a bit further, but you know what it's like. Want to do something - first job of the day and........ spent 20 minutes looking for my hacksaw. Rest of day wasn't quite as bad, but I had tidied up, so was entitled not to be able to find anything. For what it's worth the hacksaw was under the bonnet!

Also removed the Emerald ECU/turbo and LC1 (lambda) gauges. I may replace the 13cux ecu with the Emerald at some point, but not just yet.

I'm going to be working Monday and Wedneday evenings and swimming on Tuesday, so won't get much chance to work on car, though I may be able to modify the alternator bracket as it sits about half inch too far forward and doesn't align with the pulleys; I'll also try and get the airflow meter bracket made, maybe fitted. While tidying the garage I found the Range Rover alternator tensioner bracket - which will help!

Anyway, next Sunday, I'll be out for the day Chief Marshalling the London to Brighton Pioneer Run (veteran bikes), so will will try and do some work on car on Saturday afternoon.

Till then

Simon

No comments: