Thursday 21 May 2009

Now it's getting ridiculous!

Having made a decision over the last few weeks that I would be replacing the side panels with new ally, and that the back boot panel might as well be in ally too (rather than fibreglass), I ordered three sheets of 2.5m x 1.25m x 1.5mm ally yesterday.

That meant that I had to get organised in the order that work was to happen - like a list of jobs, and when they needed to be done.

Tonight that list included removing tail lights, rear arches and the boot panel. And I succeeded, and I made a template of the panel ready to transfer to the ally. So far so good, ahead of schedule.

I've spoken to a friend who's going to do the painting, just to find out what I need to do finish wise, in preparation so just need to get those bits of plastic that I can give him (off the car) filled, sanded and primed.

If I can stick to my schedule, I'm hoping to have the rear panel and both replacement side panels in place, all plastic panels ready for topcoat and the roll bar all welded, painted and fitted, the exhausts back on and plastic panels to Phil for painting by Monday pm.

Hopefully he'll be able to do them next week, so I'll have them back on the car by weekend of 30/5 and I'll just need to get the bonnet - yes, I'm going to make that from ally too - fitted!!!

Other changes I'm hoping to make include moving the fuel cap to the new ally back panel as it was a major inconvenience trying to get the fuel filler into the boot without chucking petrol everywhere and I want some new rear light assemblies to replace the budget "trailer" lights I had.

A couple more minor jobs like fi the horn, then off for ticket and tax:D

More on Monday with pics (yeah really!).

Till then

Simon

No comments: