Wednesday 27 May 2009

Big post, perhaps

OK, Went to Car Builder Solutions on Saturday and got their usual helpful service (yep, I'd recommend them to anyone), and got my nice new petrol cap, hose and tank connector/adaptor thingy.
The tank adaptor is a flat piece of ally with a hole in it with an ally tube welded on. The idea is to use existing cap (which in my case was bolted directly to tank) to mark holes on adaptor, and use existing tank holes to attach it with.


My only criticism of the adaptor is the thickness of the plate part, which while fine for strength but didn't allow me to countersink the setscrews into it.

Simpe answer there was to cut the neck off old cap, and turn it into a big washer with countersunk holes already in.

As I was using setscrews, I had to have nylocs on the inside of tank, and the "tool" resting over the tank strap is my Heath Robinson affair, consisting of a socket the right size and a length of flattened tube welded to it, and bent so that it fits through filler tube without dropping nyloc. Worked a treat.
The next pic is of the new ally back panel, already cut approximately to shape, with the lower edge bent ready to rivet to rear lower tube and with filler hole roughly cut.

The next job was rivetting panel on the bottom chassis tube then starting the tiresome job of folding the top over chassis tube, then bending panel around the corner. This was quite difficult as I wanted to retain the shape I had made on the fibreglass panel, being a square corner at the bottom and a radiused on at the top.

Which eventually ended up like like

Yes, they are dents in the ally at the top. It's what happens when the G clamp slips.

On a slightly lighter note; whe I was at CBS, I was perusing their display boards and spotted a "Start" button. So a bit of gratuitous spending was called for. It's also served the purpose of filling a hole left by the fan override switch I'd left in the dash! Two gauge sized holes to fill yet!

It's not wired in, but the "loom" is made and just needs plugging in.

Next pic is of one of the rear arches which are going to be reprayed by a friend (Phil at HRC) who does it for a living. I'm just doing the preparation work to try and keep costs down. Yes, that's filler in all the stonechips! Both rear arches are the same.


Next job I had to do was get the roll bar brackets welded into place, so I removed all the bits I'd installed and had to weld some spacer pieces to roll bar tubes that went into chassis. For a brief moment I didn't think it was going to go back in as I took a guess on how much to widen by. Fortunately, it's a nice snug fit.

Once they were welded in, it was a case of welding top tubes into place. Unfortunately my mig skill leave a little to be desired on the neatness front, so a soon as car is on the road, I'll take it to work and go over the welds with the tig - which will be neat!
Other things I've started doing are the new ally side panels. I'd hammered the top over on a couple of the sides - which took about 1.5 hrs, with box section clamped over, but it looked rubbish. The I remembered Phil has a sheet folder so paid him a visit...

so, I'm going to redo the ones I already half made. I'm also going to lose the wood/vinyl interior and do that in ally too!

Anyway, progress is being made, so till next update, here's a gratuitous pic of a 3.9 Rover V8 with my modified exhausts:D

Till then

Simon






No comments: