Sunday 22 February 2009

Quick post!

I haven't had much time on the car this week, even though I was hoping to have made some more progress.

I swapped over the starter motors (from turbo engine to this one) as that already on new engine had a slightly different layout which resulted in the solenoid sticking out too far towards exhaust. Putting the other on on has given me another couple of inches. Which is nice.

I also got round to putting the alternator bracket on (again from the old engine) as I want it nice and low and out of the way, but as usual, there's always a spanner in the works. In this case , it's the water pump/timing chain cover. I think it's one of them intermediate type covers, but the result is that the alternator and waterpump/crank pullies don't line up. I'll take the easiest fix, and remove half an inch from the alternator bracket. Using the new engine's pullies actually gives me about and extra inch of space at front of engine, so that might help for something.

I've plugged the loom into all the sensors on the engine, but have so much wiring, I'm going to have to strip the covering off the loom and go through it to see what I need and what I don't.

I fitted the turbo exhausts to the new engine, but might try and use the new engines manifolds as they will probably flow better.

I'd like to say I hope to make a bit more progress this week, but we have a bit of a rush coming up at work, so I'll be working Monday and Wednesday evenings, swimming on Tuesday which might leave Thurs/Friday if I'm not too tired.

Anyway, till next weekend, I guess

Simon

No comments: